Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Day Smolders

I don’t do Thanksgiving anymore. I haven’t done it in about 10 years or so. However, my partner and I are bringing a bird (chicken) to his elderly parent’s house because his mother just got home from the hospital. The family (my children, except for the youngest who is studying in Italy, her father‘s grandfather and grandmother’s homeland) are going to their Nana’s house to make a turkey but I think it’s going to be a lot different for them. Nana was big on holidays. Not like me. Well, that’s not true, when my children were young I spent hours and hours on holidays and their attendant traditions and decorum. But something in me had to stop, mostly when I divorced my children’s father.

Well, I never really divorced him back then because it was too complicated. We’ve just lived apart for the past 10 years and only recently went through the legal rigmarole. I started taking my children out to dinner or something for some of the holidays, trying to make a new tradition that fit more realistically into a family headed by a single mother who worked up to three jobs at one time. It just made more sense. But I can’t say it stuck.

Today though I’m pushing myself to put my own pursuits aside for a couple of hours; I will go to my partner’s parent’s house. I don’t like holidays because to me they represent so many things that I don’t much believe in. I wasn’t surprised either when my anthropology professor called Thanksgiving a National Day of Mourning for indigenous peoples of America. Somehow, I always knew that. But still, I’ll push myself to make an appearance and smile for others because Jack, my partner, bought a fully cooked chicken and potatoes from the grocery store so I am only cooking up some winter squash.

It’s not that I don’t like cooking. I cook everyday, like I did when the children were little, but I just have a problem with the holidays. Someday I may come to terms with them, understand why I dislike them so much, but for now, I’m just winging parts of them and pushing myself through other parts of holiday routines that just won‘t give up the ghost. But here’s one little anecdote that may express some of my feelings:

This morning Jack took a stack of ads out of the newspaper that is nearly two inches thick and left the wafer thin mint of newsprint on the coffee table. There is more stuff to sell than there is news to read. To me, that’s the best commentary on what the holidays have become. And I used to be a reporter and copywriter for seven regional newspapers. Commerce wins every time. As they say in journalism: follow the money when you’re investigating wrongdoing.

(On an aside, I’ll tell you the dream thoughts I had last night. I kept waking up dreaming about deleting this blog, especially my free-writing rants from the past two days. But instead, I’m just adding a new one. I suppose I don’t always trust all my dreams. I‘m pushing to find a new kind of writing even though I don‘t know exactly what it is. In the dream I was doing it right but I couldn‘t see what I was doing--because in real life I still don‘t know what it is.)

2 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like the anecdote, you're such a wonderful writer mother. why are we affraid of sounding stupid so much? that has always been my problem, just feeling really stupid. i only felt like i needed to celebrate thanksgiving here because everyone else was like "oh my god, it's thanksgiving, we HAVE to eat something special..." we ate a thanksgiving dinner special at a TGI Fridays in Prague. interesting... you sure where the holiday freak back in the day. i remember, don't think i've forgotten all that you've done in my life... --joy

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger aWoman'sBlog said...

LOL, joy! I'm so glad you found a fun way to celebrate a holiday that can mean so much. Yes, I used to really get into them. I don't know exactly what changed for me but it may have been more about money (or lack thereof) than anything else. I suppose I feel odd about writing these things because they've always just been private journal rants and this is just a new phase. But I'm pushing through it, inventing myself anew, as you reminded me in the post above.

So, I was delighted to hear about your TGIF Thanksgiving dinner. What a fun commentary and in a way, fits too with what we experimented with when going out to eat at restaurants. One of my favorite places that we did once (maybe twice) was that old-fashioned place up in the north section of the valley. (I'm not mentioning places here because I don't like to do that on a public site.) It was the one with wooden beams all over the place and fine china and glasses and traditional turkey with all the fixings. I loved that one.

And, it was a lot easier than all the home cooking. Still, I am getting back into cooking but not that much--just yet--

But, don't worry too much about my complaints here as I'm trying to use blogs the way I used to use diaries, or something like that, and like I said, I'm just exploring a lot right now. Everything is up for grabs, nothing is carved in stone, all is a possibility.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home