Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I'm Out of Their League

Today’s Who’s Who on Market Street is one of the reasons the Wall Street financial industry has always earned my disrespect and I’m not sure if I can resolve this internal conflict. From what I can tell, if you do a really bad job they pay you $161.5 million in restricted stock options and benefits to get you the eff out of there.

Merrill Lynch & Co.’s ejected CEO Stan O’Neal though just might have enough millions to overcome the suffering for being a failure in the industry’s eyes. I guess that’s why most love this business because you win even if everyone thinks you’re a loser. I guess it is good for many but it’s insultingly excessive to my mind. In addition to his millions, O’Neal will receive an office and an assistant for three years. It’s not to difficult to comprehend how he will survive; and this is him being ripped off, according to some commentators.

According to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ), “Merrill directors didn't offer Mr. O'Neal cash severance or a bonus for 2007. They and he agreed he had accumulated considerable wealth during his 21-year career, made a lot of money last year and didn't deserve extra rewards on his way out the door.” So, this is what is status quo and the ousted chief executive officer is not getting anything that he doesn’t deserve but it sounds like some think he deserves more.

Keri Smith at Keri’s Life blog thinks he's being treated poorly because he's black. She said:

Stan O'Neal, the 56-year old CEO of Merrill Lynch & Co. has been forced to leave his job due to a significant multi-billion dollar write-off he announced last week. Although his departure was rumoured to occur, it was surprising how quickly the board was willing to oust Mr. O'Neal.

Mr. O'Neal became the highest ranking African-American on Wall Street - rising from the cotton fields of Wedowee, Alabama, to the top position at Merrill Lynch.”

Respondent lance williams, sr at Nat Turner’s Revenge blog said...
“O'Neal got too slick. He's a cold fish and if he'd just come clean with the board and the big shareholders all at once, he'd be OK.”

Lisa there said: "Will the big stockholders now avoid black CEOs? It's always disparate when it comes to us--they judge us by a few. In corporate America this kind of housecleaning happens all the time but there's "judgment" aspect. It's the same with female CEO on the way out,too."

The Nat's blogger Christopher Chambers, said the chief executive has been criticized for “leading the world’s largest brokerage to its biggest quarterly loss since it was founded 93 years ago.”

Being so new to this industry, first of all I didn’t even know the man was black when I started writing this blog and in fact, this morning as I thought about taking a paltry profit on some of my stocks, to keep me to breaking even, I recalled an interview I saw with O’Neal. I was unaware who he was at that time and didn't realize it until I opened these blogs this morning, which are linked to the WSJ article.

My thought this morning was that it’s better to be safe, which is what O'Neal was saying in the interview that I recalled this morning. Risk management was what O’Neal was talking about in the interview a couple of weeks ago on Bloomberg TV. I liked what the man said and remembered it this morning over coffee. I was thinking I would take the profits from two stocks to total $200, which would bring me close to my beginning capital to break even. I’m definitely not much of a risk taker and told myself that though he was being criticized on the show, I believe in his philosophy.

In the interview the interviewer seemed to be grilling O'Neal about his philosophy when he explained how important it is to resist greed; O'Neal stressed how important prudence is in this business. So, in trying to make a decision this morning I figured I should just stick with my original plan to just make $80/day. That would create an income of $20,000 for the year. (Still, being at this since June, I haven’t been able to make anything, even though I do make some profits but I also lose just as much.)

But enough about my profits and losses because in the final analysis I am once again reminded that what I think this industry is--is not. When I started this post this morning, and not knowing this was the very same guy I saw on the Bloomberg interview, I was thinking this guy is one more greedy guy. I was reminded how excessive it is when I read this type of news; how much money losers make when you work with the big boys.

I am still going to use O'Neal's philosophy too because I respected it when I first heard him and I respect it now. Maybe Merrill and most investors aren't so patient or maybe there are things about this story I don't understand, which is highly probable.

This morning as I pondered that interview a few weeks ago, I had the sense that in the end, it will pay off. I’m sure there’s more to it though, as noted in the WSJ article I linked above, regarding the credit fiasco banks are going through and the Securities and Exchange Commission's investigations into wrong doing. Whose wrong doing it is though I don't know and I will look into that and maybe save it for another post as this one is dragging on too long.

And in the final analysis, I know there’s so much I don’t know. That's about all I really know. There’s still so much to learn. Sometimes I just want to quit. In fact, for the last week and a half I have just turned away from it because it became overwhelming. But last night I had a dream that made me sense that I need to get back to it. But that’s neither here nor there and though O’Neal is black and some suggest that he’s being treated poorly because he’s black, I still know that $161.5 million is a lot no matter what color or gender you are.

That he’s being ousted possibly because he had losses in the third quarter may be a racial issue, as Keri suggests. Still, I remember a few peon jobs where I definitely increased profits and you can be sure I didn’t get anything when they wanted new blood in the company. And that's another thing I know: this may be more to do with the huge gap between the rich and the rest of us peons.

Anyway, my head is hurting already and the market hasn’t even opened. I need to get back to looking into what I’m going to do today and let the big-time players hack out whether they think it’s fair to oust someone with a $161.5 million severance package. I’m clearly out of their league.

Maybe just for good measure, I will spike my coffee this morning with some B& B, a blend of Benedictine liqueur and French cognac. I think I should sit in the last rays of Indian Summer sun with some homemade honey sweetened oatmeal with local Empire apples and cinnamon. (I may get out of my pajamas in an hour or so.) I think too it’s a good time to read the next chapter in former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan’s book titled, "The Age of Turbulence; Adventures in a New World.”

Life is sweet♥



~~~~~~~
[Update Nov.4, 11:07 a.m.: According to my print version of the Nov. 3 Barron's Review & Preview, page 18, "O'Neal is leaving after a $2.24 billion quarterly loss; some analysts say Merrill faces a $4 billion writedown in the fourth quarter."]

7 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Blogger Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

awomansblog,

I was surfing Blog Catalog and found this blog link I thought you may be interested in:

http://bullhunter.universalwealthcreation.com/

You have given me a niggling to learn about stock investment. :D

Great post!!!

Hugs, JJ

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will do well with what ever it is that you what to put you full dreams into.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger aWoman'sBlog said...

Thank you jj and anonymous.

jj: I will check out the link now and then I will hop over to your blog to see what you're up to. I'm glad you're enjoying my journey through this new land and if it encourages you in anyway, all the better.

anonymous: thanks for the encouragment because I struggle a lot with the many conflicting feelings I have surrounding both this topic and career change in general.

Thank you both for stopping by my blog and anonymous if you ever create your own blog, be sure to let me have the link.

Till later♥

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Wild wave!!! Jeff and I are back from a visit to his parents and the spa. Snow clouds moved in while we were in the pool. I think I'll find myself in the whirlpool and sauna this winter!!! We have a hotel that opens its facilities to the area residents for a reasonable fee.

Please post your knitting and crochet projects on your blog!!! I miss doing that more than anything with my carpal tunnel.

{{{Hugs}}}, JJ

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I like to have I little spike my self when all the work is done, and there is some time for play.All though it is hard to come by in this busy world that we live in. Its always good to have I nice coffee with the last rays of Indian Summer Sun...Am glad that I could give you some encouragment career changes can be hard as well as an eye opener.Just fallow your dreams best.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger aWoman'sBlog said...

Dear jj and anonymous:

Thanks for the encouragement from both of you.

It’s like a little birthday present each time I get back to my blog. I fear I neglect her (awomansblog) a lot but I am always thinking about it, wondering what next I may want to write.

Thanks for coming back to visit. I enjoy your company.

Jj: Your whirlpool and sauna plans sound delightful. If I’m reading you correctly, do you mean you own a hotel with facilities? That must be fun! I have done not more than 5 sauna/whirlpools in my life. I love them but I’m not much of a gym person so I never get to do that much.

Regarding handcrafts, I’m working on a granny square afghan using Jack’s mother’s old yarn. With all the yarn she’s given me, I could make about 10 afghans. I’m also knitting a seed-stitch scarf, which I’ve been slowly working on since last winter. I have about 10 rows to left; the color is eggshell.

The pictures I’ve posted on my blog have either been from elsewhere or the two on my dashboard, Jack helped me post and so I haven’t yet mastered the art of taking and uploading my own pictures.

The picture in the upper right hand corner though was photographed by my daughter when she was in school. She gave it to me for my birthday because growing up, she most remembered me sitting by a sunny window writing in a journal.

But, if I can figure out how to take my own pictures and post them here, I will show off some of the needlework I’ve done. Knitting and crocheting for me are my meditations. I’m too antsy to be able to sit and do yoga or anything like that (that’s my mother in me again).

Somehow, yoga makes me feel like I should be doing something “constructive,” which was my mom’s favorite censure. Sometimes we can’t help hearing our mother’s voices for the rest of our lives. She always admonished me to do something productive. Watching TV then was out of the question, so of course I snuck TV time.

Anyway, I’ve gone off on another tangent but maybe it will get me oiled up to write a bit more about what needlework means to me and that you mention carpal tunnel I think of Jack’s mom and why she knits. She has severe arthritis and took up needlework to keep her hands working for 60 years. It worked and maybe that will be another blog topic.

Anonymous: thanks for returning. It is nice to see you back and thank you for the encouragement. I think sometimes I don’t even know what dreams really are as I feel I’ve had so many, most dashed, and then though for some reasons there’s always something new or alternative fortune comes with all the detoured dreams; funny how life is.

Dreams have become a difficult concept for me these days. I can’t really say for sure why but I greatly appreciate the idea that maybe that is what I’m doing here and now, even though I don’t know if it was ever a dream. It’s more like one of those detoured blessings I found while on my way to somewhere else.

But I will continue this as long as I have the means to do so, so thanks for the vote of condidence. I really really need it!

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the vote of condidence. you, really, really, need it!
Confidence is always good,Encouragement as well.
Sometimes I don’t even know what dreams really are.That is why we sometimes fallow are dreams sometime we listen and sometimes we learn..Sometimes we just wonder, what would have happened. If we had only just fallowed the dream.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home