Saturday, May 24, 2008

Yes, I Really Am Getting Older Every Day

I just learned today that I am eligible for long-term care insurance through my domestic partner's program. This is one criterion that has been important to me to secure as I move toward my fifties.

It will be a big relief to know that for about $200 a year I can secure my health when or if I become unable to care for myself when I get older. I don't want my children to have to be burdened with worrying about taking care of me if I need help.

Jack and I saw a PBS documentary a while back about the devastation an elder parent can cause adult children. In some families it broke them and in others it broke marriages too.

Fortunately, I don’t have to care for my own mother at this time but not too long ago she was hospitalized for a short period of time and it immediately put a strain on family members, particularly my sisters and I and our daughters.

And that was just minor.

I feel fortunate to have discovered that one criteria may be resolved soon and it’s good that I do it now because the younger I am when I apply—the less expensive it is going to be. Also, I don’t have many medical issues right now so that makes eligibility easier.

My next steps are going to have to be getting a retirement plan in place. I know Social Security is going to go through some type of reform and I can’t depend on that. Plus, Jack’s parents’ Social Security is only enough to pay for their medication and pay for their Medigap policy, which they really need.

His mom has been sick for years. And his dad has had major surgeries in the past few years.

Today Jack gave me some information about what types of retirement programs may work for me as I almost finish with my bachelor’s degree and consider what type of work I am going to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home